- Posted by MatadorAdmin
- On November 28, 2017
Chiropractors have been adjusting spines and reducing knee pain for well over a hundred years. Chiropractic treatment has shown to be effective against neck pain, back pain, knee pain, seasonal allergies, headaches, migraines, and more. But why choose chiropractic treatment over surgery or medication?
Lower back pain is considered one of the top contributors to disability in the United States. Surgery is a well known treatment for many injuries, although, it is usually considered a last resort.
- Recovery. Spinal fusion is a common surgical procedure used to treat lower back pain. This surgery can require between 3 and 12 months of recovery time for patients to return to normal function. Patients who see a chiropractor, however, experience no recovery time. Pain relief may occur immediately following an adjustment. Chiropractors can also teach patients exercises and stretches to help strengthen muscles around the spine; a potential long term solution to relieving the pain.
- Cost. Patients who saw a medical doctor report spending up to 40% more than those who visited a chiropractor.
- Invasiveness. Spinal fusion involves a surgeon performing an incision in the lower back and operating on the spine. Bone grafts, screws, and anesthesia are involved. Naturally, any disturbance with the spine does have associated risks, which many patients are uncomfortable with. Chiropractic treatment is inherently noninvasive and has proven to reduce pressure on the nerves in the spine.
Pharmaceuticals and medicine may provide additional convenience over other treatment options. However, there are potential downsides.
- Side effects. Many medications produce negative side effects. These side effects could include: sleeplessness, inhibited reflexes, and drowsiness. Fortunately, chiropractic care is rarely associated with negative side effects.
- Addiction. Certain pain medications are notoriously addictive. Often, their effectiveness decreases with use. So patients will have to up doses, increasing side effects and costs. Chiropractic care is a non-habit forming alternative to addictive painkillers.
- Pain masking. Common pain medications only mask the pain instead of confronting the source. This provides only temporary pain relief; whereas, chiropractics can identify the source of the pain and correct the issue – for a longer lasting solution.
Although there may be circumstances where medication and surgery are betters options, it’s important to review safer methods before suscepting yourself to the dangers and inconveniences associated with surgery and painkillers. Chiropractic treatment has proven itself to be a safe and effective alternative for many sufferers of back and neck pain. If the back pain you experience is the result of a car accident, contact a lawyer who has experience in such cases. The lawyer may be able to negotiate a settlement or sue on your behalf; you may receive compensation to cover your chiropractic costs along with other damages incurred.
Thanks to authors at Pain & Arthritis Center for their insight into Chiropractic Care.